Enraged Ram Linkshell
Enraged Ram Linkshell
Enraged Ram Linkshell
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  

Data Center Selection for FFXIV: ARR

Go down 
+4
Auxalie Ohkawa
Kamon
Amiral Benson
Chimaira Septimius
8 posters

Wich Data Center will you choose?
EU
Data Center Selection for FFXIV: ARR Bar_left40%Data Center Selection for FFXIV: ARR Bar_right
 40% [ 4 ]
US
Data Center Selection for FFXIV: ARR Bar_left60%Data Center Selection for FFXIV: ARR Bar_right
 60% [ 6 ]
JP
Data Center Selection for FFXIV: ARR Bar_left0%Data Center Selection for FFXIV: ARR Bar_right
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

AuthorMessage
Chimaira Septimius
Admin
Chimaira Septimius

Data Center Selection for FFXIV: ARR Empty
PostSubject: Data Center Selection for FFXIV: ARR   Data Center Selection for FFXIV: ARR EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 3:59 pm

with FFXIV 2.0 we will have to choose a new data center server to avoid lags and such, wich server you would like to pick? stay with LS or give priority to lags?

Last edited by Chimaira Septimius on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://enragedramls.rpg-board.net
Amiral Benson
Admin
Amiral Benson

PostSubject: Re: Data Center Selection for FFXIV: ARR   Data Center Selection for FFXIV: ARR EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 8:00 pm

It should be noted that when ARR will be released, somewhere between March and July 2013, every current characters from Excalibur will pop on Excalibur, and will be locked to this world for several month, we only will be able to choose a new server later.

But, if you want to create a new character, you will be able to choose from day 1 any new or current server, meaning you can choose a current server with an already established economy, or a new server where everyone will begin virgin at rank 1.
(But with the new party search tool, everyone will be able to play with people from every servers, but only on instanced content, like a dungeon, and I believe with restrictions like the impossibility to trade items or Gils in order to not make life easier for RMT)

This was made for new players, who really want to start FFXIV ARR like a brand new game, and not be lost in the middle of end game people with relics and dark light.
So my guess is, they will allow current players to change world only when new average/casual players on new world will reach end game content, this could take something like 4-5 month, which means that we will be able to choose a new server for Ram somewhere between: June 2013 and November 2013, yes 7 month to a year from now!

So... we have lots of times to decide ^^

I chose EU.

Why?

Well I think that for sure current servers will stay in Japan, so Excalibur (if it keeps that name), will be a JP server, a great server during launch, lots of people from every time zone, even new players that are not afraid to start on an old server.
But, as time goes by, it's inevitable some players will stop playing, and new players will replace them, but from where will come new players on ARR? Well, since that the character creation tool in the game will suggest you a server near your country, people will mainly and very often choose a server hosted on their own continent, which means new players on Excalibur will mainly come from Japan.

I have nothing against Japanese players, I never saw a "JP onry" on FFXIV, I really like to play with them, but I only know very few of them, mainly I think because they are shy and don't use English. It's really a pity.
And I think as time goes by, players on Excalibur will become a mix of mainly JP and some very old veterans players from US and EU.

During the very 1st alpha 2,5 years ago, in 2010, I asked on alpha forums for regional servers, because for me there was no chance a game could run smoothly for EU players if it was hosted in Japan, old veterans from XI started to be very angry at me, telling me latency will never be a problem on FFXIV, because FFXI had no latency problems... well today guess who was right??
Those players made a mistake and SE also made the same mistake.

Veterans players from XI also started to insult me because they all wanted a rich community with people from everywhere in the world, so do I, but what they never understood, because each time, they was reading what they wanted to hear and not actually what I wrote (I hate that), is that I was asking for regional servers, which means servers for specific continents, not for a specific country.

For sure I will never want a French only server, this is pretty scary believe me, but an EU server will have people from all Europe, North Africa, and Middle East, something like 70 country with 50 different languages, that's enough for a rich multi-cultural community.

What is the problem with lag in FFXIV? Well this is the sum of several problems. The ping is the one everyone think of, about 300ms for EU, that's only a third of a second, what we are seeing in FFXIV is more something like 2000-3000ms lag, so WTF? Will we only win 300ms in ARR if we choose a server near us?

Well, like I said, it's a sum of several problems, some things in FFXIV have good synchronizations which means for EU we will most likely see only a 300ms lag on them, for example the UI, because the UI is too much secure right now, it asks the server for everything, click on something, and wait 300ms. In ARR the UI will be more client side, for almost instant action click.
When you are fighting a mob, he's dead on your screen but you are still fighting him, there is some animation lag, animation are not well synchronised with the server, but the logs are, so in your logs the mob is dead with 300ms lag, on your screen it will die with 2sec lag...

Why this is happening? The server is slow, it refreshes the world only a few times per second, you can see that when you put 2 PC next to each other, with 2 characters next to each other in the game, one character will stand, the other will run in circle around him, the standing character will not see a man running in circle but running from a point to another one while stopping at each point, in a straight line...

I'm running several FPS dedicated servers, for Counter-Strike, Left 4 Dead, etc. I set their refresh rate to 1000 times per second, meaning they will re-generate the world 1000 times per second and send those new versions of the world 1000 times per second to the clients if the clients have set their client side settings at max. This work for about 40 players on my servers, and take a lots of compute power and bandwidth, with their servers SE needs to control thousand of players with thousand of AI mobs, of course their servers are cluster servers, zone servers, instanced servers, etc. But it looks like they are refreshing the world only 2 times per second...

So they can increase refresh rates in ARR with a new net-code, etc. They are right now improving the game regarding that, but, this works only with a low ping, and I will give you examples with fake numbers because I don't know the real one and this is just as examples, if you increase the ping at 300ms, you increase for example the global lag at 1.5 sec, if you have a 50ms ping, global lag will looks like 100ms. This is not a strict proportional lag, if you double the ping, the lag will not double, it will be multiplied by 3 or 4, etc.

This is why on ARR if US and EU stay on a JP server, we will see some improvements regarding lags, but for example if a EU player starts to play on a EU server he will see fantastic improvements.

So this is why, as of today, my preference goes to EU server.

I think Chim you should removed the funny option of your survey in order to force people to answer with accuracy, because if not there is no point doing a survey.

This is my personal history on FFXIV:

FFXIV Alpha Emperor > FFXIV Beta Ultimecia > FFXIV 1.x Palamecia > FFXIV 1.x after merge Excalibur > FFXIV:ARR Alpha ???
Back to top Go down
http://www.fantasydogma.com
Chimaira Septimius
Admin
Chimaira Septimius

PostSubject: Re: Data Center Selection for FFXIV: ARR   Data Center Selection for FFXIV: ARR EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Well, my choise will be depending by ppl, i would like to avoid JP servers, due to the reason Amiral mentioned, i have nothing about JP but we could find ourself stuck at some point if we go there for sure. Also, yeah of course i would love to go in EU to improve my personal gameplay, but i dont want to force ppl moving to EU just because me, it a selfish thinking, so, i will really dont care where to go, for sure i will go with the majority, and by the servers merge i hope we will all choose the same server
so for me is EU-US
i really hope everyone will give his/her own opinion about it.
Back to top Go down
Kamon

Kamon

PostSubject: Re: Data Center Selection for FFXIV: ARR   Data Center Selection for FFXIV: ARR EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 2:31 am

I personally am most likely to go with an NA cluster mainly for the play times, I'd only really be on in the the evening from maybe 7-10 or on the weekends. However, if SE can really improve their net-code and get halfway decent servers, it may not matter a whole ton, even action mmos are much slower paced then something like an FPS so ping won't be quite a bad. I am curious as to how SE will have the data centers linked together.

Back to top Go down
Auxalie Ohkawa

Auxalie Ohkawa

PostSubject: Re: Data Center Selection for FFXIV: ARR   Data Center Selection for FFXIV: ARR EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 7:40 pm

I put EU only because I had to make a choice. I really don't mind much, except maybe no JP server please ? I don't wanna be stuck, etc. I'll just follow Chim.
Back to top Go down
Jesi

Jesi

PostSubject: Re: Data Center Selection for FFXIV: ARR   Data Center Selection for FFXIV: ARR EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 8:28 pm

Ami wrote:
I have nothing against Japanese players, I never saw a "JP onry" on FFXIV, I really like to play with them, but I only know very few of them, mainly I think because they are shy and don't use English. It's really a pity.
I think most people we know feel this way.

Ami wrote:
Well I think that for sure current servers will stay in Japan, so Excalibur (if it keeps that name), will be a JP server, a great server during launch, lots of people from every time zone, even new players that are not afraid to start on an old server.

But, as time goes by, it's inevitable some players will stop playing, and new players will replace them, but from where will come new players on ARR? Well, since that the character creation tool in the game will suggest you a server near your country, people will mainly and very often choose a server hosted on their own continent, which means new players on Excalibur will mainly come from Japan.

And I think as time goes by, players on Excalibur will become a mix of mainly JP and some very old veterans players from US and EU.
I think this is an accurate prediction

As Ami said, we'll return to Excal at launch and will probably be stuck there for awhile before we can move.

Once I'm familiar with the new 2.0 game engine, I plan to create characters on the other regional servers to see the difference in lag and reaction time. I obviously won't be able to do endgame content for a direct comparison (Ifrit plumes come to mind), but I'll test out what I can, maybe low level dungeon or some of the "full time active content" yoshi talked about might be a good comparison at low levels.

I want a first-hand look at the difference each regional data center has on my gameplay experience.
I'm not saying that I'll base my final choice on just this, but I want to know exactly what I'll be gaining or giving up when I do decide.
I suggest you guys do the same.

I'd definitely prefer to stay with friends like others have said, but I also want to start 2.0 with no regrets or "what ifs".

Right now I don't really plan to choose JP, and I'm more or less tied between NA and EU. There are different pro's and con's between NA and EU for me. So I'm going to have to wait until I can test the servers and they release more details before I decide.

Also, I don't know when I'll post again, so Merry Christmas bitches! santa

Data Center Selection for FFXIV: ARR 1342143795294
Back to top Go down
Amiral Benson
Admin
Amiral Benson

PostSubject: Re: Data Center Selection for FFXIV: ARR   Data Center Selection for FFXIV: ARR EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 9:44 pm

I think you're right Jesi, the best thing to do, is to test the other regional servers with free mules, ARR is a very different game (No animation lock, etc.) so it will be good to find something like Ifrit that could be a good benchmark, but low level.

Although with their new system, where you can play with people from other worlds inside an instance, maybe it will be able to host this in NA, EU or JP, and then maybe the system will choose where to host this instance by looking at where the majority of the party players come from (like, 5 people from EU, 3 from Japan, it will choose to host the instance in EU, or maybe in US since it's in the middle). If we can trick this system by making a party in this purpose, we will be able to test other worlds with our endgame characters on endgame content.

I also have pros and cons between JP/US/EU, so I can still change my mind once I will have all those informations.

Can your Santa bring me for Xmas the drug he used?
Back to top Go down
Amanda Scott

PostSubject: My thoughts   Data Center Selection for FFXIV: ARR EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 3:48 pm

Hi all!

I wanted to stay in touch while FF14 is offline. I cast my vote for North America.

Look forward to trying out FF14:ARR and all the great changes that were made.

Happy Holidays!
Amanda
Back to top Go down
Amiral Benson
Admin
Amiral Benson

PostSubject: Re: Data Center Selection for FFXIV: ARR   Data Center Selection for FFXIV: ARR EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 3:55 pm

New FFXIV Roadmap is available:

http://gdl.square-enix.com/ffxiv/download/en/FFXIV_2.0_BETA_Roadmap_EN.pdf

As I expected and said in this thread, the game will launch around July 2013, EU servers will be available for test during Phase 3, that will give us something to talk here.
Back to top Go down
Chrome Persia
Admin
Chrome Persia

PostSubject: Re: Data Center Selection for FFXIV: ARR   Data Center Selection for FFXIV: ARR EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 6:50 am

Well, at least anyone here who hasn't gotten into Alpha who is Legacy status (which should be most of us) is guaranteed access to Phase 1 Beta.
Back to top Go down
Amiral Benson
Admin
Amiral Benson

PostSubject: Re: Data Center Selection for FFXIV: ARR   Data Center Selection for FFXIV: ARR EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 7:27 pm

Yeah finally Chim and I will be able to play ARR, only us did not get any alpha invite, and we wanted so much to try it and give feedback, that was really unfair.
Back to top Go down
Chimaira Septimius
Admin
Chimaira Septimius

PostSubject: Re: Data Center Selection for FFXIV: ARR   Data Center Selection for FFXIV: ARR EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 9:13 pm

;-;
Back to top Go down
Amiral Benson
Admin
Amiral Benson

PostSubject: Re: Data Center Selection for FFXIV: ARR   Data Center Selection for FFXIV: ARR EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 5:15 pm

There is some news:

Current Plans for World Transfers

We wanted to briefly discuss the current plans for selecting new worlds and world transfers for A Realm Reborn. Once the global data centers are set up for A Realm Reborn, we are planning the following for world transfers.

In the event that you don't complete the transfer procedure, you will be transferred to a pre-determined world.
In the event you complete the transfer procedure, you can select from a list of worlds you can move to and will be transferred to the world of your choice.

In order to eliminate any concerns about being transferred to a world you didn’t want to move to or being separated from your friends, we will be keeping the transfer procedure open for a long period of time as well as making various announcements to ensure that everyone is aware and can go where they like.

For Beta Test phase 3, fundamentally we are planning to allow anyone who possesses a Square Enix FINAL FANTASY XIV service account to participate in testing, so it will be possible to make contact with your friends from within the game.

We will be preparing thorough details regarding this whole process so that there is no confusion, and will be announcing them at a later date.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/61031-Current-Plans-for-World-Transfers?p=977135#post977135
Back to top Go down
Khira

Khira

PostSubject: Re: Data Center Selection for FFXIV: ARR   Data Center Selection for FFXIV: ARR EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 12:16 am

EU sluts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Data Center Selection for FFXIV: ARR   Data Center Selection for FFXIV: ARR Empty

Back to top Go down

Data Center Selection for FFXIV: ARR
Page 1 of 1